Friday, April 14, 2006

Wishing I knew Arabic...

To go along with #1 of my Top 4 experiences in North Africa, I thought I'd post this sub-par photo of some of our new friends. The woman on the right (we'll call her L) is the mother of the girl (Z) on the left. (That's my sister, Annie, in the middle) L has 3 other daughters in addition to Z.

Z is the only one in the family who is fluent in English. She translated for us the entire time we stayed at their house. In this picture, Z is reading messages that we had written their family in English. She would read it out loud and then translate it into Arabic for her mother and her sisters. They loved hearing what we had to say! I've never wanted to be so fluent in Arabic! I wish we could've talked to her like we do to our friends here. It made for an interesting visit. One I'll never forget.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Of all the languages I've wanted to be fluent in, Arabic has never been one of them! But if I were in that position, I'd probably be wishing too...

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home