Thursday, January 25, 2007

Choosing to be Happy

I hate to keep popping in and being negative, but there's no avoiding it. I would love to write a post about how happy hearts and stickers everything is right now, but it's just not. Work is no fun. To the point of me wondering why I even got into teaching in the first place. The amount of work, the amount of need that these kids have. I am one person. ONE. I cannot do all of it and it's killing me. I want to, but there are just too many kids and too many needs. Throw in a few crazy parents and we've got ourselves a teacher on the edge. I'm about to fall off and go to my happy place. I want to give my best to these kids, but because of the overload, I'm having to lower my expectations. I hate that. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person dealing with this, but it's still hard.

I loved learning new elementary terms in my teaching classes. One of them was, "Give them two glows and a grow". "Glows" being the positives and "Grows" being something they could work on to make it better. So, in the spirit of happy elementary teachers everywhere, I'll try to give some "Glows" and not focus on the "Grows".

Glows:
1. I like the school schedule (lots of holidays/summer vacation)

I believe that's all I can muster up right now. I'll try more later.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should teach but not special ed. you're a natural teacher and wonderful person but special ed can stretch the most wonderful person's will.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is hard! And you cannot do it all. But the Lord has allowed you to pursue all that you have learned and given you an incredible opportunity to let His love be poured out and into the lives of these precious young people through you! It is hard work! It can get very discouraging.
These winter months do not help the situation. Soon, the weather and before too long the school year will come to an end. We are praying with you and for you!

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. Hang in there. Do something fun this weekend so you can relax, have fun, and get your mind off of it.

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally know the feeling you are describing. I couldn't even last more than two weeks. :(

7:00 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Aw Sarahs, I'm so sorry. It sucks to do something day in and day out that makes you miserable. I know you're making a huge impact in these kids' lives, but I'm sure it's hard to feel that when you're in the middle of it.

Can I feed you this weekend? Want to get pedicures? =)

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has today been a better day? I hope so! Friday is always a great day when the weekend is just around the corner! Wish we were close so I could take you out for a margarita and some shopping. I will be praying for an extra measure of grace, patience, and peace that passes ANY EARTHLY understanding for you. Hang in there. Love you! Courtney

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home